Know Your Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Q & A - Interview with Ramsey MN Candidates ward 2 city council

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Q & A - Interview with Ramsey MN Candidates ward 2 city council Empty
PostSubject: Q & A - Interview with Ramsey MN Candidates ward 2 city council   Q & A - Interview with Ramsey MN Candidates ward 2 city council Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 11:05 am

KnowYourCommunity.com has recently conducted a interview with the candidates to help the voters make a informed decision. The first to respond was Andre Champagne. He is running for city council ward 2.

Q: What qualities or experiences do you possess, that make you more desirable than the other candidates? A:
Andre: I am a freedom loving American that understands economics, the free market, supply & demand, the role of government and the need for low taxation, prioritized spending and minimal regulation.

I worked for the City of Fridley for 6 years in the Public Works Department. The City of Fridley is of a similar size to Ramsey. In the Public Works Department I was exposed to city sewer, water, street, and parks maintenance operations. When I left the City of Fridley my departing plaque stated that I could "build my own city" based on the experience I had achieved during my years of service there.

Currently I work for the Anoka County Sheriff's Office and have for the past 14 years. I have a great deal of knowledge of Public Safety as well as most other aspects of county & state government as I have worked with numerous departments & agencies at local, state & federal levels over the years.

My work experience is something that no other candidate has in any of the races for city council or mayor. I have first hand knowledge of how government runs. I understand the government budgeting process, capital improvement projects, grant processes, and inter-related dependencies between various agencies. I feel I will be able to leverage my experience to ask the right questions and make the proper decisions.

Q: Of the decisions made by council since the last election, which one would you have changed, and why? A:

Andre: So many to choose from, I'm not sure I can pick just one. I would have voted against spending $30K a month to bus 60 people downtown every month. I would have made several different votes concerning the Town Center and fallout thereof and I would have either voted to abolish the Ramsey3 initiatives completely or at a minimum brought in alternate views on some of the issues such as "Smart Growth", global warming and transit systems.

Q: How are you currently involved in the community? A:

Andre: I have participated in some of the Ramsey3 initiative discussions. I am a local, congressional & state delegate for a major political party and attend the local BPOU meetings. Many local & state issues are discussed at these meetings that have a direct impact on the City of Ramsey. I have attended several city council meetings in the past as well as stay on top of local politics through reading the council minutes and watching the sessions on TV.

My most active role is that of city council candidate where I have talked with many local residents regarding numerous issues that concern them and the city as a whole. I ran for city council 4 years ago and ever since then I have continued to keep myself informed on as many local issues as possible.

Q: List the three most important issues in your campaign. A: (1) (2) (3)
Andre:
1) Prioritizing Spending

2) Getting private investment in the Town Center.

3) Protecting personal property rights

Q: What one election issue do you feel is most relevant to your ward/city in this election? A:

Andre: I think the obvious answer for most would be the Town Center project. It is easy to say this but at the same time this issue is tied to many others, such as spending and the Ramsey3 initiatives to list just two. The City embarked on a spending plan that was based on "what if's" and "maybe's" instead of being fiscally responsible. Now the new council will have to find ways to pay for our current financial obligations while still maintaining essential government services. Some of the proposed spending through 2012 may have to be eliminated or put on hold until the city is able to get its' financial matters in order.

Q: How do you feel about Ramsey's rate of expansion? A:

Andre: Individuals ultimately determine expansion. Individuals open businesses or locate businesses in Ramsey, individuals buy homes and individuals decide to shop. Government should be providing the infrastructure and essential services needed so that individuals can prosper. Government needs to make sure there are proper roads, bridges, public safety services, etc. in place to handle the growth.

I have seen the city grow substantially in the last 10 years. The entire North Metro area has expanded for that matter. Development and expansion is great as long as government is not the one dictating it and the private sector is (ie, citizens/individuals & business). Government should work with businesses and individuals to make the best possible outcome for everyone involved while being fiscally responsible. For example, if hundreds or thousands of homes are being built in a particular region than the government agencies that handle that area should be planning for infrastructure upgrades to handle it. We have seen a lack of planning among our various government agencies over the years. Collaboration among agencies should be greater to help share costs as well as prepare for future growth.

With that being said, the citizens of our city should be able to say they want to keep the qualities that made the city an inviting place for them to come to in the first place, such as large lots, small town feel, peace & quiet, etc. Expansion must be tempered with the wishes of the citizens. It is not up to the Met Council or any other government entity to decide how our city should be managed.

We must remember that ultimately the government is nothing more than a group of citizens who have chosen to work in the public sector either as an employee or as an elected or appointed official. We should not look at the government as some all powerful entity that we must be afraid of or feel it controls us. We are the government and thus we have the power to change it.

Q: Why should businesses be attracted to locating in Ramsey? A:

Andre: There are many reasons for businesses to locate in any particular area. If you're talking about a service or retail business then there must be a customer base for the business, easy access, etc. If you're talking a manufacturing business then there are other things needed such as adequate transportation.

To list a few specific things; Ramsey provides an excellent physical location as it is close to other areas that are rapidly expanding such as Elk River & Coon Rapids, it is located on Highway 10 which is a major traffic artery, there are many business sites available, and taxes are slightly lower than some other Metro area locations (especially Hennepin County).

Q: What would you do to encourage businesses to locate in Ramsey? A:

Andre: One thing I think is important to remember is that we should not be punishing existing businesses at the expense of bringing in new ones. I know this is a fine line to walk sometimes but it is very important to consider. Government should not be picking favorites when it comes to businesses. I know I may sound like a broken record but government should be providing essential services, keeping taxes & spending low and maximizing individual freedom. To encourage new businesses I would help keep tax rates low, work to repeal the additional Anoka County sales tax that was recently enacted, keep city regulations at a minimum, and last but not least I would keep an open mind when considering development proposals, rezoning requests and citizen concerns.

Q: Why have you chosen to involve yourself in the political process? A:

Andre: I have a great love for my nation and feel that it is my duty to step up and work to make my city, state and country better. I have worked in government for many years and have a great knowledge of the various levels of government. Through my years of work I have seen a lot of non-essential spending & waste. I have seen political maneuvers between various government agencies to out flank each other for power or revenue streams instead of them working together to maximize the taxpayer's resources. I feel it is time I use my experience & knowledge to change some of the missteps I see and return our government to its' intended purpose.

Q: What does Ramsey mean to you? A:

Andre: Ramsey is the city in which I purchased my first home. This is the home in which I live today. I was raised to work hard and good things would come. My father passed away before I bought my house and really started to become a successful adult. He would of said, it takes hard work to achieve your goals and even harder work to retain them and protect them. Ramsey is my home and I am running for City Council to keep it a place in which I want to live for many more years to come.

Q: Do you support the following projects?

Andre: I would like to make a general statement in reference to all the items listed below and all other proposed spending items the City currently has. From my perspective, all items currently proposed must be looked at as A) is it an essential government service B) what is the priority of the specific project (all spending must be prioritized) C) will the project impact negatively on city finances or impede current city spending obligations D) are there on-going costs associated with the project E) does the project impact any other projects either currently in the works or proposed and F) has the project been properly vetted by the City.

Trott Brook Trail proposal? A:

Andre: All parks spending will have to be re-evaluated as the city has $30 million in parks spending proposed over the next 5 years. Some projects should go forward but many will have to be cut or postponed.

Roller Sports Facility is proposed.A:

Andre: Not at this time. The city does not have the resources to build a facility which would have limited use by the majority of Ramsey citizens. This is a novelty item that can not be afforded at this time.

Village Square Commons building is proposed. A:

Andre: All parks spending will have to be re-evaluated as the city has $30 million in parks spending proposed over the next 5 years. Some projects should go forward but many will have to be cut or postponed.

$4.5 million pedestrian bridge is proposed over Highway 10 from the Town Center to the river A:

Andre:There is no need for a multi-million dollar bridge to link a few citizens to a Town Center that has very few businesses in it. This would not be a wise use of our limited city resources.

Q: any additional comments you would like to add? A:

Andre: Please see www.AndreForCouncil.com for additional information on my campaign. Thank you.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://knowyourcommunity.forumotion.net
Admin
Admin
Admin

Q & A - Interview with Ramsey MN Candidates ward 2 city council Empty
PostSubject: Re: Q & A - Interview with Ramsey MN Candidates ward 2 city council   Q & A - Interview with Ramsey MN Candidates ward 2 city council Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 11:10 am

Thank you Andre! You have done a great job of informing the voters.

We hope to get responses from the other candidates soon, so please check the site often.

If members want to discuss the candidates or issues please visit the discussion forums.
Back to top Go down
https://knowyourcommunity.forumotion.net

Q & A - Interview with Ramsey MN Candidates ward 2 city council
Page 1 of 1